Friday, December 1, 2017

Christmas Gifting With Unity


I love making gifts for people. Now weather or not they appreciate the handmade gifts is a different story. Ha! I often imagine my work going into someone's trash can....but hopefully not this time. This year for Christmas I've decided to upcycle some glass mason and old food jars turning them into wintery candle holders.

I started by making sure all adhesive was cleaned off the jar. I even broke out the Goof Off! After running them through the dishwasher they were good to go.

Then I took some Wal-Mart white chalk paint and slapped on two coats with a cheap sponge brush.

While it was drying I dove into my Unity stamps and found one I thought would work with the winter theme; woodland deer. The sentiment is from a Unity grab bag and I think it works perfectly. The tiny snowflake is from A Joyous Season.

I attached that doe to the largest piece of glass I had and then inked it up with some Archival black by Stampin Up.

Holding the jar sideways and rolling it over the image while pressing firmly gave me the best image.

The tiny snowflakes are done in pool party ink by SU. I didn't have to roll these little flakes on though. Pressing them as one would normally do worked just fine.

How did I color that deer? Ink? Nope! Colored pencils came into play here; Prismas.  I then used a SU blender pen to smooth the colors a bit. I only know the correct coloring of a deer because there is one staring at me in my living room. Ha!

I hope you noticed the deer standing in some fresh powder? The sponge brush came in handy again here. It took only a thin layer of Mod podge to hold on the fine snow glitter.

The icing on the cake is some twine wrapped around the top a few times along with a wooden snowflake!

Join the fun and hop along with Friends of Unity!

                          Crystal Minkler



36 comments:

  1. What a beautiful gift, Jeanie - I am sure anyone would love this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see. Lol...I hope so. It was fun to make.

      Delete
  2. I love this so much, Jeanie! A fabulous gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a keepsake! I love gifts I can bring out each year, and tell the "story" behind receiving it!! Love <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm giving this one to my stepfather who loves to hunt.

      Delete
  4. Love this! I always worry about stamping on glass but will definitely try this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chalk is a matte finish so the ink adheres nicely. Go for it!

      Delete
  5. Very cool!!! I often wonder about the homemade gifts as well..... I know that I appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the homemade gifts as well. I couldn't bring myslef to chuck them even if i wanted too. Lol

      Delete
  6. That is adorable! A keepsake for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, very cute! Nicely done! I love using candles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant! You’ve inspired me to try stamping on a jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to stamp on something different. You should def try it.

      Delete
  9. Jeanie, this is gorgeous! I am going to have to try stamping on a jar myself. This makes for a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I simply love this! Great job thinking outside of the box with the gift idea. I may have to CASE this and make some of my own for next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CASE away! I got the idea from someone in the unity group that did a fall themed one with a leaf.

      Delete
  11. Love this idea...I have been meaning to try this...thanks for the inspiration...simply beautiful! ~ Wynne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome project...and versatile too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...you could change it up for almost any stamp.

      Delete
  13. This is a great and fun idea! I love the deer and your write up of how you did this. I would never have guessed Prisma's for the coloring- way cool! Love the added twine : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only discovered Prismas this summer. I had no idea they worked so well with coloring. Ya just gotta try stuff.

      Delete
  14. Love this❤️ I’m going to have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea and it's beautiful - I'd love to get a handmade gift like this and the deer is really great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This deer is one of my fav stamps. I always find myself inking it up over and over.

      Delete
  16. This is fabulous way of recycling! I love keeping our sauce jars for other projects. I need to try ypir tips :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Def a great way to recycle food jars. Different stamps can work with different sized jars. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Growing In Unity Group Hop Oct 2020